Name:
Location: Australia

I am a Registered Nurse with 2 children, both under 6 and a wonderful husband.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Wow!

Day 2 of my clinical placement.

I am at the Army Base Medical Centre, which is a small, 30 bed hospital, with what would be called a GP's clinic in civilian world.

The hospital is extremely quiet at the moment, so I and the male nursing student were put into the "GP's clinic" side.

What the RN and medics do in this clinic, is cater to 2 of the many units on base, seeing what is called the 'sick parade' until 10am? (I think). That is any of the Army personnel from these 2 units who are feeling 'off' but do not have a prior appt with a doctor.

So what the RN says to the two of us this morning was, "you each can take a file, call the person in, do their initial assessment, and tell me what you have checked/asked about, and what you think we should do"

well, you could have picked my jaw up from the floor. I felt unprepared to be doing this and presenting my info to the RN. I felt she would be judging me and saying, "No, not good enough" and I would feel like a dill.

Anyway, the first was an easy one - I feel bad saying that, the woman had Post Natal Depression and was there for her meds to be increased as per her regime. But what was easy was that she already knew what she needed, and we just had to make sure she wasnt having any ill-effects from her meds, and that they were working before handing her on to the doctor.

The next one, was a man with flu and gastro. I did an assessment, including OBs, checking his throat, tongue, questions about his symptoms and any meds he had taken for those symptoms. Then I presented my info to the RN and she asked what we should do, and I said "rest and fluids". It turns out that was the correct response :P and the nurses/medics are allowed to give up to 2 days off without seeing a doctor.

So, after loading him up with various cold and gastro (over the counter) medication, off he went, and I wrote the notes. *big grin* second patient done, and found it isn't so bad after-all.

First day was very quiet - practiced alot with a plastic practice arm venipuncture and cannulation.

Hoping the rest of my time there is busier though.

And I am very excited. I finally sorted out ONE reference - I called one from 2nd year, and she remembered me (the pregnant student) and she kept a copy of everything she wrote about all of her students, so she has agreed to be a reference for me. I also got an email from the Townsville Hospital to say they are going to start organising interviews for the grad placement shortly, and could I please provide them with my mobile number again, as the one I originally provided is missing a digit O.o!!! WHOOPS! Not the best first impression to be giving them, I am sure.!! So I am now hoping I am going to get an interview!!

.

1 Comments:

Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Ah well, that doesn't sound too bad Joann :) Good for you. Good luck on that placement too!

10:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home