Name:
Location: Australia

I am a Registered Nurse with 2 children, both under 6 and a wonderful husband.

Friday, March 11, 2005

Speaking Out

Today, I attended a forum at the University as they are conducting a review of the nursing degree. They wanted feedback from a 1st year group, 2nd year group, and a 3rd year group, of which I formed part of the 3rd year group. I felt that as I am always one to sprout off at things I don't like about the course, I should be one to volunteer to talk to a group of people about it.

Unfortunately, my baby boy is still sick so he came along. Fortunately, he is a happy sick boy *shakes head at oxymoron* so he didn't cause a hassle by being in the room.

I felt like it went well. There were eight panel members and six of us from 3rd year, and as I had also completed 2nd semester, I was able to give some feedback about some things in that regards too. And I did. I told them what I thought of clinical placements, some subjects in particular, some thoughts on the exam at the end of second semester, computer lab facilities, study advisors, Library and IT availability, and the ability to give feedback that is acted upon. There was more, and we certainly fitted alot into one hour of talking, but I think it was worth it.

At the end of the day, I don't know just how much of what we said will be acted upon, but if we had kept our mouths shut, then they would think nothing would have to be acted upon.

Whenever I have been in a workplace listening to complaints etc, I have always been one to say "Don't complain to me, DO something about it" I hope by attending and providing feedback to this forum today, I have shown that I take my own advice.

Oh, and afterwards, I took my son back to the Doctor - he has a throat and chest infection. So he is on antibiotics AGAIN. This time it is not Penicillin, so we will see how he goes.

Wow - 2 posts in 2 days!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Finally can leave a message! Wow, I'm impressed - 2 posts in 2 days! LOL... Good for you. Yes, it's a good idea to speak out. The only way to make things better is to give feedback. How do we know we are doing something wrong if nobody gives us any feedback? Good for you and I hope it helps the future years.

1:21 pm  
Blogger Ra'Phil said...

Yes I agree Toria - I really hope the future years get some benefit out of what we brought up. And I was trying to post a comment on your blog last night and it wouldn't let me, so I gather you had the same sort of problem.

1:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home