Name:
Location: Australia

I am a Registered Nurse with 2 children, both under 6 and a wonderful husband.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

DON'T try to tell me what to say!!!

Hang on - it has not been a week yet :P

I feel this is worth it, though. I am about to have my turn at having a rant:

We had 2 lovely ladies (note the sarcasm) come into the lecture room at the start of lectures and discuss our impending graduation at the end of this year. They tell us the great news - that the graduation ceremony will now be on Dec 15, rather than in April, as it has been in the past. Sounds great - and it is.

Then they move onto another matter - our Student Feedback Surveys which is anonymous feedback to improve the course etc. We complete one for each subject, and one for the course overall - and complete them at the end of each semester. Well, these women decided to suggest ever so kindly, that the students shouldn't complete the 'course overall' one in a 'bad' way, as it gives the Uni a bad reputation. The way they put it, is that if we then apply for a job, from a Uni which we have given a bad reputation, employers will not wish to employ us. For, who would want to employ graduates from a bad Uni for their jobs. So they said it is for our benefit that we do not complete a bad survey, as we may find ourselves without a job.

What a crock of shit. If the course is bad, fix the f****** course. Don't try to cover it up by asking the students to lie and help with the cover up. I personally think it is their jobs they are trying to save, not our prospective ones.

So how about that for free speech. I nearly sent an email to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor asking "WTF", but I thought I should wait until my results are finalised first :P.

Please excuse my language - it is stronger than I would normally use, and I think I surprised a friend at lunch today with the expletives I used. *blush*

/rant.

2 Comments:

Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Wow, that's awful Joann. Yes, exactly independent evaluations are meant to improve a course, not lie about it. The university isn't helping itself by suggesting the students be untruthful and "soften" the blow. Give credit where due and let the fur fly where it is deserved. Be savage, be bold and be honest!

BTW good to see I'm not the only female spouting profanity around LMAO.

9:51 pm  
Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

*SCOFF*

Lol.. that is an odd proposition. Seriously, just... *scoff*. Tell the truth and don't be ashamed.

9:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home