Name:
Location: Australia

I am a Registered Nurse with 2 children, both under 6 and a wonderful husband.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

End of week one, tomorrow starts week two

~

Well, I have been slack - as usual some might say.

I usually keep a journal on placement, and I am not talking about this blog, but a paper/book and pen journal. That way, I record what I did each day, and any issues with staff/patients/procedures to reflect on at a later date. They can be good for looking back on how you reacted to a situation later, and analysing why you did what you did, and seeing if you would act differently in a similar situation. They are also handy for picking out experiences that fit into a selection criteria ;-).

But mine sits looking at me blankly - literally blankly, as I have not written a thing as yet. So that is something I must get onto very soon, otherwise I will put it in the 'too hard' basket, and that isn't something I wish to do.

The remainder of my week was good and uneventful. I had lunch with the Nursing Officer in the Officer's mess both Thursday and Friday, which was very nice. I decided I would pretend to thumb my nose at my husband when he returns from out bush. He will probably reply (and truthfully I might add) that he couldn't give a toss about eating in the Officer's Mess, but what is a wife good for if she can't rib her husband occasionally.

Tomorrow I work on the wards, which starts handover at 7am. That means I will be up just after 5am, to be ready to get my kids up just after 6am to be there on time. But 5am rises are not uncommon for me when on early shift. By getting up that early, I do give myself up to 10mins of 'vacantly staring at a wall trying to wake up time'.

And today was Mother's Day - which meant nothing really. Out of 5 Mother's Days now, my husband has been away for 4, so it is just another day. My daughter is just starting to understand things like Mothers Day, and was upset when the television talked about getting mum breakfast in bed. She was upset that she was unable to do that, and Dad was not here to help her in that regards. It was quite touching. She did give me lots of hugs and kisses to make up for it though.

I had a bit of a surreal feeling this last week. Some of my family and friends have started congratulating me on finishing the degree - or 'graduating' as they have put it. It is weird, as I still have 2 exams to go, and don't officially 'graduate' until the end of the year. So I have begun to feel like a hypocrite, accepting the congratulations when I could fail the final hurdle if I am not careful. So I guess the pressure is starting to build now - exams don't usually bother me, but I have a distinct feeling things will be different for these upcoming exams.

Monday 20th June - 1:15pm, Nursing Research Exam

Wednesday 22nd June - 1:15pm, Integrated Nursing Exam.

Wednesday 22nd June - Anytime after 5pm, CELEBRATION!!!

~

1 Comments:

Blogger Toria/Deb said...

AWWW, I'm sorry your Mother's Day was nothing special **HUGS** from me for you. Well, beggars can't be choosers as the saying goes :(
I hope next year R. and hubby can make you breakky in bed. That's what I got this morning from Tim and Sarah :) Lovely!

Yes, rather weird feeling to be congratulated when you're not done yet! Good luck and best wishes on those exams! TTYagain soon.

7:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home