Name:
Location: Australia

I am a Registered Nurse with 2 children, both under 6 and a wonderful husband.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Day three - Mental Health Placement

~
Tonight I worked the late shift. That started at 2:30pm and finished at 11pm. It was a better day than yesterday, and by that I mean it wasn't as hectic. That meant, more time for the clients and more time to work out just what happens on a day-to-day basis in an Acute Inpatient Unit.

I talked more with the PTSD (raped at 19) woman. She opened up to me and showed me her writings about being raped, plus being sexually abused when she was 7 years old. 7 YEARS OLD!! Grrrr that makes my blood boil. We discussed the fact that she now has a 6yr old son and a 3yr old daughter (along with a 1yr old son) and how her past was affecting her present and future. We also discussed her obsession with the shower and how long it had been occurring, her anxiety attacks and her previous suicide attempts. In the end, I spent a long time with her, and missed helping with an admission they wanted me to be a part of. But I felt I couldn't leave this woman, who had opened up to me more than she had with the other staff that day. She had not shown any others what she had written about being sexually abused, so I did not want to just up and leave her.

I figured there will be plenty more admissions in the next week, that missing one tonight will not make that much difference in the end.

One thing I forgot to mention in the previous post, is that all staff carry alarms with them, which can be set-off in 2 different ways. If someone actually tries to remove the alarm from the wearer's clothing without removing it a certain way, that sets off the alarm. The second way is by pressing a button. The first way is good. If a person tells you to hand over the alarm, and tells you not to press the button, the wearer can remove the alarm the 'wrong' way and it goes off. It is a silent alarm too, it makes certain telephones around the hospital ring (and some staff wear the telephones). Those telephones then show up the number of the alarm which has been set-off and the location of the wearer.

The bad thing about this, is sometimes a person can accidentally set-off the alarm, (and we have been told a student usually does so) especially in the toilet if they remove the alarm and remove it incorrectly. So I expect the person who makes the alarm go off will be me :P

Anyway, that was day 3.
~

1 Comments:

Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Ah, okay that's not so bad then. Thank goodness you've got an alarm on your person. That makes me feel a lot safer for you.

Good luck, dear :)

2:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home